Here are some things to consider as you make the move to your new home. I can suggest local professionals for many of these services.
4 WEEKS BEFORE YOUR MOVE
- Contact and contract with a reputable moving company
- Have school records transferred
- Arrange to transfer (or take with you) medical, dental and other important records
- Prepare to transfer your homeowner’s and auto insurance to be sure you will be covered for any unforeseen disasters
- Hold a garage sale to get rid of unneeded items; arrange to place excess items in storage.
- Keep track of moving-related expenses
(Check with your accountant to find out which expenses will be deductible)
- Arrange for final utility reading at your former residence the day after your move, and have utilities and phone turned on at your new home the day before you move in
- Close or transfer bank accounts
- Terminate newspaper delivery service
- Arrange for change of address for driver’s license, vehicle registration, and vessels, if any. In some states, including California, you must report a change of address to the Department of Motor Vehicles within 10 days of the change.
- Have an extra supply of prescription medications for the next four weeks
- We will schedule a final walk-through of the property to make sure everything is in order
WEEK OF YOUR MOVE
- Keep valuable financial records and personal papers with you; do not pack them with the rest of your household goods
- On closing day, the home-purchase documents record and the home is yours
- Move in!
AFTER YOU MOVE IN
- Consider plans for landscaping design, installation, and maintenance
- Review home-security requirements and systems
- New furnishings, appliances, and interior decorating will help make the house your home